Q: What is 'Rising Damp'?

A: Rising damp is the common term for the slow upward movement of water in the lower sections of walls and other ground-supported structures by capillary action. In common with most other forms of dampness, rising damp is often misdiagnosed in buildings. Many misdiagnose a wall stain as rising damp instance due to misinterpreting the visual evidence of the wall and the readings of moisture meters.

Q: What is 'Condensation'?

A: Condensation is the change of the physical state of matter from gas phase into liquid phase, and is the reverse of evaporation. Mostly refers to the water cycle. It can also be defined as the change in the state of water vapor to liquid water when in contact with any surface.

Q: What is 'Dry / Wet Rot'?

A: Wet rot grows on porous surfaces such as timber where there is moisture content of at least 50%. Wet rot can often lead to major structural damage if it is left to grow unchecked as it can weaken timber.

Although the name dry rot suggests that no moisture is required for it to form, dry rot actually requires moisture content of around 20%. A major, and important, difference between dry rot and wet rot is that dry rot will often occur in areas of the property that cannot be seen. This can lead to significant damage before the problem has been identified.

Q: What are 'Wall Ties'?

A: The tie in a cavity wall is used to tie the internal and external walls (or leaves) constructed of bricks or cementatious blocks together. It is placed in the cavity wall during construction and spans the cavity.

Q: What is 'Woodworm'?

A: “Woodworm” is quite a common word which describes various wood boring insects. These insects lay their eggs on or in timber members which then feed upon the cellulose in the wood which eventually leave a network of tunnels, therefore damaging and weakening timber members.

Q: How long before I can redecorate?

A: Any permanent redecoration of the walls such as papering should not take place until the plaster and walls have dried out thoroughly i.e. 1 month for each inch of thickness of wall with a minimum of 6 months however, emulsion paints can be used after approx. 3-4 weeks as a temporary decoration. Impervious type wall coverings should not be used e.g. vinyl emulsions; oil bound paints until walls have completely dried out.

Q: Is the work you provide guaranteed?

A: Yes! The work will be guaranteed for 20 years however if required an insurance backed guarantee is also available at an additional cost.

Q: Can I live in the property whilst the work is carried out?

A: Yes depending in most circumstances. In the case of dry / wet rot, most chemicals used to have a 48hr re-entry period. This is now reduced to 1 hour.